Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 24 February 2024

Celtic Daily Prayer


The Lord is the refuge of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?


Charles Wesley in his hymn, Jesus lover of my soul has the verse, says…


Other refuge have I none,

Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;

Leave, oh, leave me not alone,

Still support and comfort me.

All my trust on Thee is stayed,

All my help from Thee I bring;

Cover my defenceless head

With the shadow of Thy wing.


No one knows the exact circumstances under which it was penned. Unauthenticated stories about events leading to the hymn’s origin include a bird that flew into Wesley’s room for safety in a rainstorm, and an incident where Charles hid under a hedge with his brother after being attacked by an angry mob opposed to their preaching. 


However, it does bear the marks of three tremendous experiences in his early life–the near sinking of his ship during a great storm on the Atlantic when returning from Georgia to England in 1736; his great spiritual awakening and change on May 21, 1738; and his ministration to the felons in Negate Prison in July, 1738, which climaxed with the execution of ten of them at Tyburn Hill.


Anxiety can feel like an enemy we’re trying to escape. David was well acquainted with being chased down by his enemy. We know he fled from Saul (1 Samuel 19:1–12) and from Absalom (2 Samuel 15:13–23). He describes God as a “refuge,” “strong tower,” and place of shelter. When anxiety rushes in, we can run to our safe place. 


In earthquake-prone areas, students have earthquake drills and are instructed to get under their desks or a sturdy table because that is the safest place they can be. A mild earthquake will still shake the world around you. Books, pencils, maybe even a light fixture might fall, but you are covered by your desk. Things may seem like they are falling all around us, but God is our safe place when they do.


In Psalm 46:1 we have the words, God is my refuge and strength a very present help in trouble. 


Oh, Heavenly Father, You are the One I run to when the world around me is falling apart. You alone are my refuge and my strength. In times of trouble, You have always helped me. You have never failed me. You are trustworthy. Because of Your faithfulness, though I may begin to fear in times of unrest and uncertainty, I put my hope and trust in You knowing You will quiet my fears.


Your Spirit gives me peace and brings me joy. Your presence alone keeps me strong in You. As Your enemy rages against You and Your children, You fight for us and protect us. You are the LORD of Hosts and our mighty fortress.


No comments: