Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 30 January 2024

Celtic Reflections


We continue with writing“ of John Bell. “What God would you rather believe in – the one who you never see but you believe began the universe, or the one who has revealed the nature of divinity by sharing the riskiness of life among us?” 

This brings to mind the saying, “Nothing  ventured nothing gained “ and what about this .


There was a very cautious man

Who never laughed or played;

He never risked, he never tried,

He never sang or prayed.

And when he one day passed away

His insurance was denied;

For since he never really lived,

They claimed he never died!


Towards the end of the Acts of the Apostle we find Paul saying 


“But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” Acts 20;24


I recall a relation of mine saying in a sermon that the problem of giving to God is that many only give the “fag end of the day.” You know the sort of thing, making sure that all our own needs are met first before looking beyond our immediate horizon.


In Luke 9 we read of Jesus calling folk to follow him, but what do we find, a catalogue of excuses.“Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” Or “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”


Jesus asks for commitment – real commitment that may include risk taking. The problem is that If we keep waiting for the right moment, the sands of time will run quickly through our fingers. Browning wrote: Earth is full of Heaven, And every common bush is alive with God. Seeing the world from this perspective is how we are called to serve the Lord.


Dear heavenly Father, show me how to be strong and courageous as your disciple in whatever role You’ve called me to fill today. Push me out of my comfort zone to take that risk I’ve been avoiding, and help me to come alongside someone else who may need encouragement to take a risk. I know that when I open my hands to You and let go, You will not only step in as my Protector, but You’ll also hold my hand and lead me. I will trust in You, and You alone! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


No comments: