Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 31 October 2023

For all the saints


Saints are people who patiently wait upon God

On this all Hallow’s Eve I simply bring this verse of scripture from James 5:7 “Meanwhile, friends, wait patiently for the Master’s Arrival. You see farmers do this all the time, waiting for their valuable crops to mature, patiently letting the rain do its slow but sure work. Be patient like that. Stay steady and strong. The Master could arrive at any time.


As you wait patiently today ponder the words of hymn by Clara H. Scott, 1841-1897 


1. Open my eyes, that I may see 

glimpses of truth thou hast for me; 

place in my hands the wonderful key 

that shall unclasp and set me free. 

Silently now I wait for thee, 

ready, my God, thy will to see. 

Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine! 


2. Open my ears, that I may hear 

voices of truth thou sendest clear; 

and while the wave-notes fall on my ear, 

everything false will disappear. 

Silently now I wait for thee, 

ready, my God, thy will to see. 

Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine! 


3. Open my mouth, and let me bear 

gladly the warm truth everywhere; 

open my heart and let me prepare 

love with thy children thus to share. 

Silently now I wait for thee, 

ready, my God, thy will to see. 

Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!


A final thought from John Ortberg, Presbyterian church minister and author; “Biblically, waiting is not just something we have to do until we get what we want. Waiting is part of the process of becoming what God wants us to be.”


No comments: