Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 1 September 2023

Walking with God


As we enter September we start with the theme walking with God. I find it interesting that Henry Ford who founded the great automobile organisation should once said “Those who walk with God always reach their destination” I wonder if he had Jesus words in mind, “Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

“Why in the world do you walk sideways like that?" said a Mother Crab to her son. "You should always walk straight forward with your toes turned out."


"Show me how to walk, mother dear," answered the little Crab obediently, "I want to learn."

K

So the old Crab tried and tried to walk straight forward. But she could walk sideways only, like her son. And when she wanted to turn her toes out she tripped and fell on her nose. The moral being, do not tell others how to act unless you can set a good example.


This is the joy of this verse, that we have one who can show us how to walk, for gospel today reminds us of how Jesus tries to share with others the meaning of His life.  We should hear it today, as if He is speaking to you now and trying to help you.  


A couple of His sentences might help you to think – (1) “I am the light of the world”.  Does Jesus figure among the guides of your lifestyle?  Are you aware of anything in your life that doesn’t fit well with you? (2) “I know where I have come from and where I am going”.  Later he says “I have come from the Father and I am going back to the Father”.  Everything that happened to Him as seen in this context.  If we follow the light of Christ we are privileged to be brought on the same journey in the safety of His companionship.


Jesus, You are the Light of the World.

Shine Your light in me today.

Chase away the darkness of sin,

the darkness of fear and doubt and despair.

Fill me with the light of Your truth, Your Word.

Produce in me the fruit of righteousness –

the evidence that Your Holy Spirit lives in me

and works in me and works through me. 

Teach me what is pleasing to You.

Make me a shining example of Your amazing grace,

redeeming love, and life-changing power.

May others be drawn to You through me. Amen.


No comments: