Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 30 September 2023

Sitting in God’s presence


Revelation 3:21 “to the one who overcomes I will grant the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I myself overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”

Jesus continues His promise to whoever responds to His call for a cordial welcome, thereby overcoming lukewarm faith. He promises to give that repentant overcomer the honour of sitting with Him on His throne. Jesus mentions that He sat down with His Father on His throne. 


A Michigan factory worker, earning less than ten thousand dollars a year, was an unknowing heir to a half-million dollars. When located by an investigator some years after his benefactor’s death, the worker explained that he had neither returned home nor kept in touch with his family for 24 years. The investigator who located him estimates there is about 40 billion dollars in inheritances lying unclaimed in this country alone.


Fanny Crosby famously wrote, “Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! O what a foretaste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God. Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.” With the refrain, “This is my story, this is my song, praising my saviour, all the days long.”


I wonder, are we as a Christian aware of our status as "an heir of God through Christ"? Do we fail to receive the gifts our Father offers. 


It would be good for us to  allow ourself to take some moments in the presence of God who is so much greater than our imagining or comprehension. Believing that God can accomplish more than we can ask or imagine, we take care not to let God’s work be limited by any narrow boundaries that we set.


I conclude this months devotions of Walking, Running, Standing and Sitting with words of a favourite hymn writer of mine, Albert Orsborn published 100 years ago.


In the secret of Your presence,
Where the pure in heart may dwell,
Are the springs of sacred service
And a power that none can tell.
There my love must bring its offering,
There my heart must yield its praise,
And the Lord will come, revealing
All the secrets of His ways.


More than all my lips may utter,
More than all I do or bring,
Is the depth of my devotion
To my Saviour, Lord and King.
Nothing less will keep me tender;
Nothing less will keep me true;
Nothing less will keep the fragrance
And the bloom on all I do!


Blessèd Lord, to see You truly,
Then to tell as I have seen –
This shall rule my life supremely;
This shall be the sacred gleam.
Sealed again is all the sealing,
Pledged again my willing heart,
First to know You, then to serve You,
Then to see You as You art.


In the secret of Your presence,
In the hiding of Your power,
Let me love You, let me serve You,
Every consecrated hour. Amen


No comments: