Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 31 July 2023

Journeys


To journey with Jesus means a willingness to die for the sake of the kingdom. The journey of Jesus led to the cross. That is where Jesus calls us to follow today—the way of the cross. This is not some inward spiritual journey. This is a confrontation with power, violence and death. But we are not alone. Jesus walks ahead. He leads the way. And he bids us to come and join him.

Perhaps this is the most difficult part of journeying with Jesus. We are so familiar Matthew 16:24-26 but what does is mean for the disciple today? “Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

We are invited to follow in his footsteps. Like him, we are to be ready to take up our cross, whatever it may be, and carry it behind him. Notice, Jesus tells the disciples to take up their own cross, not his. The cross will be different for each person; it takes the form of some difficult thing. Something not chosen but clear.

There is no comfortable way to carry a cross; I don’t care how you position it. I often talk to people who are convinced that some suffering or pain in their lives is an indication that they must not be following Jesus. After all, if they are following Jesus, the Son of God, doesn’t it follow that things in life are going to unfold smoothly? There is this junk theology floating around out there that points to difficulties as evidence that you must not be following Jesus. The Biblical reality is that when people say yes to following Jesus, they are agreeing to carry a cross, and that will be painful at times.

Only by uniting our suffering in life to that of Jesus can we carry our crosses. Is there something in my life today or everyday that I am struggling under the weight of? Ask for the grace you need from God in this time of prayer.

Now, discipleship is a choice. Nobody is forced to take it up. Jesus makes it very clear that it is not an easy way to live. How we understand our life and give it value influences what we consider “saving” or “losing” our life. It also affects the decisions and actions we make.

Perhaps as we journey with Jesus we should ask, in what ways is your living as a disciple of Christ life-giving for you? Are there burdens associated with your discipleship that you may need to ask the Lord to help you carry at this time. If so, allow yourself time to present them to him. Allow Jesus to share the load.

For our prayer today I use a hymn of Fannie Jolliffe 1862-1943 


I do not ask thee, Lord,
That all my life may be
An easy, smooth and pleasant path;
‘Twould not be good for me.
But O I ask today
That grace and strength be given
To keep me following all the way
That leads to God and Heaven!


I do not ask thee, Lord,
That tears may never flow,
Or that the world may always smile
Upon me as I go.
From thee fell drops of blood;
A thorn-crown pressed thy brow;
Thy suffering brought thee victory then,
And thou canst help me now.


And what if strength should fail,
And heart more deeply bleed?
Or what if dark and lonely days
Draw forth the cry of need?
That cry will bring thee down
My needy soul to fill,
And thou wilt teach my yearning heart
To know and do thy will.


No comments: