Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 10 June 2023

Blessings of Summer


I love Eugene Peterson’s rendition of Matthew 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

It almost sounds like an advert for a holiday company, doesn’t it.


“Come” is a familiar word in scripture. “Come back to me; come and see; come follow me.” God continues to invite us, desiring what is best for us. This is the God who leads us to restful waters, who desires that work be service, not slavery. We are promised the help we need by a gentle and humble Lord to walk more lightly in life, knowing that he is with us.


Perhaps I need to ask myself “Do I hear the Lord’s invitation to me as life-giving and liberating? Where do I feel burdened or enslaved knowing the Lord desires freedom in service of him and others? I turn to the Lord for what I need to travel more lightly in life.”


This simple invitation goes straight to the heart. It is advising me to  spend time letting it echo within me, as I bring to Jesus all my weariness and heavy burdens, one by one.


The ‘holiday advert’ goes on to give details of a vacation with a specific aim, where Jesus prompts us to “Learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart.”


One of the most popular titles for Jesus in the Gospel was that of Rabbi, teacher. Here he invites us to learn from him: he describes himself as gentle and humble. Were these the two qualities he liked most about himself, where he wants us to be most like him? I pray to be a good student of this unique teacher.


Lord, help me to rest in you so that with uncluttered mind and unburdened heart I am revived to share your work. Open my eyes to the burdens borne by others. Open my heart to the pain that cannot be shared, to the fear that cannot be spoken, to those who face darkness alone. Help me to meander with you as I discover your gift of lasting peace. Amen


No comments: