Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 19 April 2023

Pondering Proverbs


For the next few weeks we return to pondering Proverbs

Proverbs 14 29  Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.

I’ve often heard the throw away line that says, “Lord give me patience, but hurry up!” 


How are you in the patience stakes?


A man was walking through a supermarket with a screaming baby in the shopping cart. A woman nearby noticed that time and again the man would calmly say: “Keep calm, Albert. Keep calm, Albert. Finally, in admiration for the man’s patience as the child continued to wail, the woman walked up to him and said: “Sir, I must commend you for your patience with baby Albert.” To which the man replied, “Madam, I am Albert!”


In this proverb, Solomon addresses the subject of controlling one's temper. Patience is the ability to think before speaking or acting is a sign of great maturity. In the context of the book of Proverbs, "patient learning" leads to "knowledge," which allows a person the ability to use "wisdom." Well-developed wisdom becomes "understanding," which can then be passed on to others. A self-controlled person demonstrates this refined, advanced form of wisdom.


The great baptist preacher, Charles Spurgeon, once said, “Patience is a grace as difficult as it is necessary, and as hard to come by as it is precious when it is gained.”


Lord, give me patience for today, so that I may overcome any difficult tasks ahead. Nothing is impossible with You by my side, and I pray that Your Holy Spirit showers me with grace and patience to see the end of the day with my head held high. I lift up everything to You Lord. Amen.


No comments: