Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 23 March 2023

Journey through Lent


Perhaps the greatest of all Stradivarius mysteries is why no modern violinmaker has been able to replicate Stradivari’s work. The violins of Stradivari’s time were treated with a varnish made from the resinous material of any of a number of possible plants. We don’t know what method Stradivari used to cook the resin (or for how long he cooked it), but its translucent sheen lent to the violins a robust whiskey colour and may have also enhanced the wood’s ability to echo sound so clearly.

We can measure the instruments’ varying lengths, depths and widths. Even a marginally talented copyist can make a violin with the specs of a Stradivarius. Yet no one has been able to make an instrument that yields the extraordinary tonal quality of a Stradivarius.


Stephanie Chase, who has studied the essence of the Stradivarius says, "Because the perfection of a Stradivarius has never been matched by another maker past or present, it makes you think we must be missing something...I’ve begun to believe there must be a higher concept, some overriding principle that he abided by that we just have not been able to understand."


Spiritual life is instantaneous. Spiritual growth is progressive. We don’t always understand, but then God doesn’t expect us to understand everything.


Perhaps we are in a similar place to which the apostle Paul found himself when he wrote, “Yet, my brothers, I do not consider myself to have “arrived”, spiritually, nor do I consider myself already perfect. But I keep going on, grasping ever more firmly that purpose for which Christ grasped me. My brothers, I do not consider myself to have fully grasped it even now. But I do concentrate on this: I leave the past behind and with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead I go straight for the goal—my reward the honour of being called by God in Christ. (Philippians  3:12-14)


Paul is explaining that the work of the Lord was not yet complete in him. He was still pursuing his goal, doing the work of the Lord, reaching upward toward the prize. To focus on moving forward, reaching upward, toward the prize of life, striving for perfection to be more like Jesus.


Prayer; Our Heavenly Father, we are in awe of your love and forgiveness. We thank you for your Son Jesus. He was an example of perfection, who died for our redemption. Teach us to rely on You, to leave the past behind, and reach upward toward the goal of becoming more like Jesus. Like the magnolia blossoms are open and reaching upward toward the sun, let us be open-hearted and reach upward toward the prize God has provided through Christ Jesus. In Jesus’ holy name. Amen.


No comments: