Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 29 March 2023

Journey through Lent


The 3rd positive thought is that Lent is a commitment to yield the authority of my life to Jesus. I know that may not sound very positive but bear with me.


In Lent, we no longer pretend. We stand and confess that we are broken sinners in desperate need of help from God. The church comes alongside and says, “We’re all in this together.” Is it easy? Of course not.


Our world is full of hurt and desperation. Not only do we deal with issues of human sin, but we also live with real evil in our lives. Genuine demonic power exists, and we need all the help we can get, help that can come only from God.


It is deeply counter-cultural to make a commitment to Christ. It is hard to yield to him and say yes to allowing him to use you as he sees fit. But the great love he has shown us draws us closer to him and allows him to use us to make a difference in the lives of others who need gentleness, care, and compassion.


To confess “Jesus is Lord” means we are subservient to him, we come under his authority, we are not in charge of our lives anymore, and we ask him to call the shots. We rely on what God did in Jesus to bring us the very things we need: mercy, forgiveness, his companionship, and the promise of eternal life.

This is the third lesson of Lent: to commit our lives to Christ and come closer to Him.


1 Take my life and let it be

consecrated, Lord, to thee.

Take my moments and my days;

let them flow in endless praise,

let them flow in endless praise.


2 Take my hands and let them move

at the impulse of thy love.

Take my feet and let them be

swift and beautiful for thee,

swift and beautiful for thee.


3 Take my voice and let me sing

always, only, for my King.

Take my lips and let them be

filled with messages from thee,

filled with messages from thee.


4 Take my silver and my gold;

not a mite would I withhold.

Take my intellect and use

every power as thou shalt choose,

every power as thou shalt choose.


5 Take my will and make it thine;

it shall be no longer mine.

Take my heart it is thine own;

it shall be thy royal throne,

it shall be thy royal throne.


6 Take my love; my Lord, I pour

at thy feet its treasure store.

Take myself, and I will be

ever, only, all for thee,

ever, only, all for thee.  Amen


Frances R. Havergal (1874)


No comments: