Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 8 February 2023

Pondering Proverbs


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. 
Proverbs 3:5

This week we start with Proverbs of the Heart. Eugene Peterson in is inimitable and helpful way way paraphrase Proverbs 3:5 as, “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own.”

It was Frank Sinatra who used to sing a song that contained the words.

What more can I say?
From the bottom of my heart I need you
You're part of my day
My inspiration is you alone
To call my own
I love you, I love you
From the bottom of my heart I want you
It's you I adore
 I'd be on my way to heaven
If you'd say "I love you from the bottom of my heart"

If we place these words in the context of our relationship to God’s love for us found in Jesus, they take on a deeper meaning. Couple this proverb with Jesus loving words of, “…don’t worry and don’t keep saying, ‘What shall we eat, what shall we drink or what shall we wear?! That is what pagans are always looking for; your Heavenly Father knows that you need them all. Set your heart on the kingdom and his goodness, and all these things will come to you as a matter of course.” Matthew 6:34-35 (J P Phillips) and we see the wisdom of this proverb.

Everyone knows that you don’t eat bananas until they turn yellow. The internal transformation of the fruit inside the peel is what causes the yellowing effect indicating when the fruit is. Because we are God’s people, the work of Jesus changes our lives from the inside out. His grace transforms our hearts and minds, overflowing into our actions. 

Prayer; Lord, create in me a clean heart, guide my path. Teach me to guard my heart, to keep my eyes focused on You, and to resist evil. Let my words and actions be acceptable in Your sight. Like the flowers reflect sunlight, so let my heart reflect the light of Christ. Amen.


No comments: