Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 16 February 2023

Pondering Proverbs

 

Before his downfall a person’s heart is proud, but humility comes before honour. Proverbs 18:12 or in it’s more colloquial rendition, “Pride comes before a fall.”

In actual fact the original setting says, “Pride comes before the fall.” alluding to Genesis and Adam and Eve’s sinning.

Interestingly, again proverbs places the seat of this emotional turmoil within the heart yet also indicates this is the place from which true humility springs.

This proverb contrasts arrogance with lowliness. Arrogance sets up a person for failure, humility creates the best conditions for success. Life is uncertain, so no effort is guaranteed to succeed. Yet, according to Proverbs, those who humbly seek God's will and the advice of others are more likely to achieve their goals. 

The apostle Peter learned the truth of Solomon's words. He made a brash, prideful promise to the Lord: that he would never forsake Him even if others did (John 13:36–38). His pride betrayed him. He fled when Jesus was arrested (Matthew 26:56) and denied knowing Him to a servant girl and others in the high priest's courtyard who asked (John 18:15–18, 25–27). After Jesus restored Peter following the resurrection, Pete



r put aside personal pride (John 21:15–19). Yet even as an apostle, Peter sometimes struggled with image and reputation (Galatians 2:11–14). 

But what of this honour found in humility. Samuel Brengle who was an early Salvation Army officer and great Holiness Teacher was once introduced as the, “Great Dr. Brengle.” He later wrote in his diary, “If I appear great in their eyes, the Lord is most graciously helping me to see how absolutely nothing I am without Him, and helping me to keep little in my own eyes. He does use me. But I am so concerned that He uses me and that it is not of me the work is done. The axe cannot boast of the trees it has cut down. It could do nothing but for the woodsman. He made it, he sharpened it, and he used it. The moment he throws it aside, it becomes only old iron. O, that I may never lose sight of this.” 

Merciful God,
give me the same attitude as Jesus,
who emptied himself
and was obedient to you
all the way to his death on the cross.
Make me eager to put others before myself,
and their needs before my own.
I ask this through your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen

No comments: