Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 13 February 2023

Pondering Proverbs


Whatever you do, do it as service to Him, and He will guarantee your success. Proverbs 16:3


This proverb is almost a mirror image of the gospel verse where we find Jesus saying, “ask anything in my name and I will do it.”


Following Jesus is a call to be in relationship. Jesus invites me into the very heart of life, the source of goodness; to be with him 'in the Father'.


We learn from the Gospels that it was the close relationship he had with his Father which led Jesus to behave in the ways that he did. The movement of God's spirit within me draws me into the life of Jesus and the Father. I take a few moments to recognise and appreciate where God is working around me.


In these words of Jesus, we ourselves are being invited to share in the life and work of God to share God's life, to do what God does. The Last Supper discourse in John is about our being initiated, being drawn into the godhead: as children, as friends of God and- here, as co-workers with God.


Lord Jesus, I give you my hands to do your work. I give you my feet to go your way. I give you my tongue to speak your words. I give you my mind that you may think in me. I give you my spirit that you may pray in me. Above all, I give you my heart that you may love in me your Father and all humankind. I give you my whole self that you may grow in me, so that it is you, Lord Jesus, who live and work and pray in me. Amen 


No comments: