Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 23 February 2023

Journeying Through Lent


There are a number of reasons why Lent lasts for forty days. In fact the number 40 is Mentioned 146 times in Scripture. The number 40 generally symbolises a period of testing, trial or probation. During Moses' life, he lived forty years in Egypt and forty years in the desert before God selected him to lead his people out of slavery.

A comical, but illustrative, story shows us how adept we are at rationalising our actions. 


A very overweight man decided that it was time to shed a few pounds. He went on a new diet and took it seriously. He even changed his usual driving route to the office in order to avoid his favourite bakery. One morning, however, he arrived at the office carrying a large, sugar-coated coffee cake. His office mates roundly chided him, but he only smiled, shrugged his shoulders and said, "What could I do? This is a very special cake. This morning, out of my forced habit, I accidentally drove by my favourite bakery. There in the window were trays of the most delicious goodies. I felt that it was no accident that I happened to pass by, so I prayed, 'Lord, if you really want me to have one of these delicious coffee cakes, let me find a parking place in front of the bakery.' Sure enough, on the ninth trip around the block, there it was!" 


Temptation is strong, but we must be stronger. We should not tempt fate and we should not rationalise our actions. 


Jesus, like Moses before him, retreated into the wilderness where he fast for forty days. Each of the temptations that Jesus faced involved a seizure of power: power over the elements of creation by turning stones into bread, political and military power by gaining power over the kingdoms of the world, and the power to force God's protection in an inappropriate manner. That Jesus was tested throughout his ministry was widely held in early Christianity. The Letter to the Hebrews tells us, "For do we not have a high priest (Jesus) who is unable to sympathise with out weakness, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15


As we enter lent may we contemplate how Jesus supports and strengthen’s us to overcome temptation.


Jesus, merciful and faithful High Priest, You are with me always and see everything I do. Your Scripture says that we do not have a High Priest who is unable to empathise with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are — yet He did not sin. Fashion me in Your image. Give me Your wisdom and strength to avoid sinning. Show me when and how to flee from situations where I am tempted. If it means making some difficult decisions, give me the courage to make them. I want to devote myself to You, and I need Your Spirit to help me. Thank You, Jesus. Amen.


No comments: