Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 27 February 2023

Journey Through Lent


In the famous story of David and the giant Goliath , God’s people endure 40 days of taunting and challenges from Goliath before David is sent to the battlefield with bread for his brothers and decides he’s the one who will fight for his people (1 Samuel 1:16)

We’ve probably all heard the expression, “This is going to separate the xmen from the boys!” Those words are said when about something that involves danger and risk. Things that take courage and a willingness to sacrifice. Things that are gruelling and gut-wrenching. Things that require maturity and perseverance, not just boyish enthusiasm and energy.


David may have been the smallest boy in the camp that day, but he was the biggest man on the battlefield. Why? Because he had superior armour and weapons? No… Because he faced his challenge with faith. And he had long before learned the lesson that the challenge before us is never as great as the power behind us.

Perhaps this Old Testament incident is all about getting the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites, the soldiers all thought, "He's so big we can never kill him." But I wonder, when David looked at the same giant and thought, "He's so big I can't miss."


One commentator reviewing such against all odds situation said, “If God's will is in your little stones, they will surely bring down giant Goliaths... but you have to make the throw!” 


When we are right in the middle of a 40 days of fear and facing against all odds perhaps we should use the words that David wrote in later years, 


Psalm 18:1 Lord, how I love you! For you have done such tremendous things for me.

2 The Lord is my fort where I can enter and be safe; no one can follow me in and slay me. He is a rugged mountain where I hide; he is my Savior, a rock where none can reach me, and a tower of safety. He is my shield. He is like the strong horn of a mighty fighting bull. 3 All I need to do is cry to him—oh, praise the Lord—and I am saved from all my enemies! Amen


No comments: