Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 15 November 2022

The Kingship of Christ


This coming Sunday, the last Sunday in the liturgical year, when we traditionally contemplate Jesus as King. In John 18:36 we find Jesus saying, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”


But what kind of Kingdom is Jesus talking about and perhaps more to the point, what kind of king is he? In these times of fake news and alternatives facts, it is so refreshing to hear Jesus solemnly proclaim that he was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. The basic truth is that God is love and loves the world he created so much that he sent his own Son to save it. I ask myself how important truth is for me, and to what extent am I committed to find it and live by it. I ask for the grace to seek and listen to his voice.


‘My kingdom is not from this world’. From the rest of Jesus’ words and especially from his actions it is obvious that he does not mean that his kingdom is totally other-worldly, having nothing to do with matters of this world. He means that it is not built on power-seeking at all costs and on violence, like most ‘kingdoms’ of this world, but on other values, mostly on love, mercy and universal solidarity. I consider how much my faith in Jesus influences my decisions in the concrete world.


In this world: kingdom living.

In our mouths: kingdom praises.

In our hearts: kingdom goals.

In our hands: kingdom gifts.

Thy kingdom come,

thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven!  Amen.



No comments: