Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 23 November 2022

The Kingdom is like...


Matthew 13:44-46

‘The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. ‘Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.


When our priorities are clear, we find it easy to give up what is less precious to obtain the hidden treasure: the one in the parable sold all that he has with joy. I ask myself whether I am as free to give up what is not so important to obtain what my heart really desires. I ask for light and for a joyful freedom from what hinders me from being what I am called to be.


What is my treasure, the pearl I am seeking, for which I’m ready to give up everything?


If something is so precious as to be priceless – then the value of everything we possess deflates by comparison.


But the treasure or the pearl here need not be taken as something outside ourselves. The pearl is the unique human life of each of us. The final book of the Bible speaks of a priceless stone held by God – with one’s own name inscribed on it. And – in the words of the prophet Isaiah – the Lord says to each of us : You are precious in my sight, and I have given kingdoms in exchange for you.

To loose this treasure – the uniqueness bestowed by God on my life – would be catastrophe. This same teaching appears elsewhere in the Gospel pages : What would it profit a person if they came to own the whole world – but suffered the loss of their own soul ?


Imagine the reaction of the person who finds the hidden treasure in this parable, how their heart must have leapt to find it! Their whole life is turned around; for the first time in their life they have hope that things will be better. They can’t wait to tell their family; but know they have to keep the treasure a secret until they have bought the field. But the person’s family will notice the change in them and wonder what good news has got hold of them.


Lord, let your presence in my heart transform everything for me. Amen

No comments: