Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 2 November 2022

Saints


Ephesians 2:19

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household


A minister was asked by a man in the community to do his brother’s funeral. Neither of the men had been churchgoers or showed any religious inclinations. The man offered to give £25,000.00 to the church if the preacher would call his brother a saint at the funeral. The brother had been a real sinner in the community and everybody knew it. A friend of the pastor asked, “You are not going to do it, are you?”


The pastor said that he was going to do it because the church needed the money. The word got out that the preacher had sold out to the family for money and the church was filled for the funeral. The pastor stood up and this is what he said, “The man we are burying here today was a liar, a cheat, and a drunk; however, next to his brother who is sitting here today, he was a saint!”


Saint or Sinner?

Lord, I'm not sure what I am or what I ain't.

Am I a saint playing sinner or a sinner playing saint?

I love your truth, but I am not good at obeying, as you know.

I can run with the sinners, but feel guilty when I go.

Some of the things I crave are sin, and Lord, I know it,

But deep within me there is a voice yelling, "Go for it!"

I love to sing the hymns and feel at home when I preach,

But temptation is just to strong when sin is within easy reach.

Saints or sinners welcome me; to their parties I give life.

Trying to be holy with either only leads to stress and strife.

With a squirt gun I'd have charged Hell at just a word from you,

But from both sides of the Cross I was beaten black and blue.

I wanted to be perfect, loyal, brave, and strong,

But each time I quoted You, my brothers said I was wrong.

I sought to spread the Word from Revelation back to Moses,

But neither saints nor sinners could handle very large doses.

So I became discouraged and felt I could not ever win.

What else could I do, if you didn't want me, but return to sin?

My life is deep depression and a dark, lonely night.

I want to come back to You, but I can't find the path of light.

Lord, I feel as helpless as the thief upon the cross.

I can't change my situation and struggling is just more loss.

Jesus, like him, I can only make this request of You.

In Your kingdom, remember me and let me live there, too. Amen


No comments: