Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 12 November 2022

Saints are?


Saints are people of practical prayer.

Some, especially members of religious orders, had entire days of prayer. Others found their time with God in other ways.


Dorothy Day—not canonised but recognised by many as a truly holy person—started her day with prayer but said that she met God daily in the crowds of the poor who came to her hospitality house. None of the saints saw prayer as a waste of time or as an activity for only the weak or naive.


Jesus' greatest commandment was a call for piety to His followers, saying "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself.” Luke 10:27


This verse comes from the passage that includes the parable of the Good Samaritan  and reminds us here often we seek to justify our own selfishness. But the knowledge of the lawyer is not what Jesus seeks. It is our hearts that he seeks, and the acts of love and mercy that should flow freely out of our hearts. Jesus still asks us to answer the question “Who is my neighbour?” 


This is a fundamental question, perhaps as fundamental as the other one Jesus asked elsewhere, Who do you say I am? So much depends on my answer, which is only up to me. I dwell on this question, and as I struggle to answer it,


Perhaps we should pray, “Forgive me loving Lord, and let your flame of love and mercy flare up afresh in my heart and consume my selfish tendencies. Grant me, O Lord, to see everything now with new eyes, to discern and test the spirits that help me read the signs of the times, to relish the things that are yours, and to communicate them to others. In your name we pray. Amen


No comments: