Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 25 October 2022

Discipleship - stewardship

Matthew 25:14-30 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. ..


Today’s gospel makes it very clear that far more is expected of us. We are expected to make an active and positive contribution to the work of the Kingdom and to the Christian community as the Body of Christ. In practice, that might mean taking an active part in our Church, in our parish, volunteering for social justice initiatives etc . So, it is important for us to spend some time reflecting on what are my unique ‘talents’ or gifts or abilities and then to ask to what end I am using them?


The gospel suggests there is an urgency about this - as we do not know when our ‘employer’ is coming back to check his accounts with us. In this time of prayer do I have a sense of where I am being drawn to use my talents?


The parable of the talents is a fitting text to be applied to our everyday life in this context. There is a definite need for the care of creation to be at the personal level of each of us caring for “our home”. Like a family expecting each member to ‘pull their weight’ at home, so the idea of proper care requires each of us to have an awareness of how God has shared his creation with us, and asks for co-operation in looking after our shared inheritance.


When God’s gifts go unused, God’s goodness comes to be doubted. I ask that I be better able to recognise how I might serve God and others with all the opportunities that I notice.


Fulfilling God’s will takes a different shape for each of us as our blessings and situations vary. I pray that I become neither vain not despairing, but am able to be fully alive to every opportunity that presents itself.


Dear Jesus,
I thank you for everything You have given me. My gifts of time and talents are precious gifts, enable me to use them to do Your will.
I offer you this day all my words, actions and good intentions to reflect my love for You and my neighbour.


Please help me realise that I need to share these gifts and all my gifts with the Church and others, help me to be generous, patient, forgiving and holy. Amen


No comments: