Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 1 September 2022

Doors and Gateways

 

Chapel of St John the Evangelist, ZURRIEQ Malta by Paul Collings

Acts 5:19

But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the gates of the prison, and taking them out he said,  20 “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.”


We are all familiar with the saying, "when one door closes and another opens" it is also said to  mean that if one thing you do fails, you will soon have an opportunity to try to succeed at something else. This expression is often used to encourage someone to keep trying after they have had a disappointment or failure.


No doubt, Peter felt a little like this as he found himself in prison. It was from this episode in Acts that Charles Wesley penned the verse.


Long my imprisoned spirit lay,

Fast bound in sin and nature's night

Thine eye diffused a quickening ray

I woke, the dungeon flamed with light

My chains fell off, my heart was free

I rose, went forth, and followed Thee


The Christian life is one of renewal. God is all about moving forwards, upwards, and making things better. After all, that’s why He sent Jesus – so that we could have a renewed life. No matter what has happened in your life – a tragedy in your childhood, or just a clumsy mistake yesterday – God says that you can begin again.


Prayer


Loving Lord of new beginnings, I give you all my cares and concerns to you.


I know you are my Heavenly Father who can provide me with everything I need. You know my needs before I even ask you for them.


Thank you, Lord, for opening the door to new beginnings and for your unwavering provision. I trust that your peace will watch over me as I step into a new beginning.


May I rely on the riches of your love and grace to provide for my physical, emotional and spiritual needs.


In Jesus’ name, Amen.


No comments: