Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 29 August 2022

Summer Thoughts


Playa Bastian - Costa Teguise - Lanzarote by Paul Collings

Psalm 59:9 O God my strength, I will watch for You; For God is my stronghold my refuge, my protector, my high tower.


Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.


Mark 13:35-37 Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back — whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: “Watch!”


Five times in this short passage Jesus tells me to be attentive. I would rather settle down to a comfortable life. But the world of God is breaking in everywhere, like an invasion. I ask for the grace to seek God in all things, as St Ignatius says.


A new world order began with Jesus, and I have a part to play in it. Every day I review what went on, and as G M Hopkins says, ‘I greet him the days I meet him, and bless when I understand’.


Father, just as it’s unwise to let our physical health slip, so it is with our spirits. Help us stand guard and acutely watch their spiritual life. Forgive us Lord for the times life got so busy and we neglected to spend time with You and Your Word. For the times we chose other things over spending time in prayer. Forgive us for assuming that we can ‘get by’ on a few spiritual crumbs. We look to You to help us shake off this smugness and look for you. Amen


No comments: