Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 23 July 2022

Prayer - Supplication


Romans 8:27 “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”

Following on from yesterday’s prayer as uttered or unexpressed, our verse here reveals how the Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. So what part are we called to live within the realm of intercessory prayer.


God calls us into cooperation. We consider the dignity and honour that we am given and ask that we may act in a ways that shows our appreciation of God-working-with-us.


We realise that God's purpose is not always evident to us. So we pray for trust and patience and for the ability to persevere.


We take time to think of how God has turned things to our good in the past, giving thanks for blessings, letting go of the plans that we have for ourselves.


I recall a verses that from earlier years that was prayer in itself that said:-


Open my eyes that I may see

glimpses of truth thou hast for me.

Place in my hands the wonderful key

that shall unclasp and set me free.

Silently now I wait for thee,

ready, my God, thy will to see.

Open my eyes, illumine me,

Spirit divine!


Open my ears that I may hear

voices of truth thou sendest clear,

and while the wave notes fall on my ear,

ev’rything false will disappear.

Silently now I wait for thee,

ready, my God, thy will to see.

Open my ears, illumine me,

Spirit divine!


Open my mouth and let me bear

gladly the warm truth ev’rywhere.

Open my heart and let me prepare

love with thy children thus to share.

Silently now I wait for thee,

ready, my God, thy will to see.

Open my mouth, illumine me,

Spirit divine!


Clara H Scott (1841-1897)


What a Supplication


Lord, you search me and you know me. When I am sick, distracted, or in other ways unable to pray, the Holy Spirit, more intimate to me than my own self, links me with you, and prays for me with sighs too deep for words. Your Spirit is active in me. Thank you. Amen


No comments: