Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 20 June 2022

Hymns of Childhood


This week I’m going to explore the words of childhood hymn written by Philip Bliss. Philip P. Bliss (b. Clearfield County, PA, 1838; d. Ashtabula, OH, 1876) left home as a young boy to make a living by working on farms and in lumber camps, all while trying to continue his schooling. He was converted at a revival meeting at age twelve. Bliss became an itinerant music teacher, making house calls on horseback during the winter, and during the summer attending the Normal Academy of Music in Genesco, New York. His first song was published in 1864, and in 1868 Dwight L. Moody advised him to become a singing evangelist.

The first verse concentrates on the love of God showered upon us, his children. 


1 I am so glad that our Father in Heaven

Tells of his love in the book he has given;

Wonderful things in the Bible I see;

This is the dearest, that Jesus loves me.


I ask the question do we read of the wonderful things found in the bible.


Some time ago, a couple invited a particular minister to their home to have a dinner. After the minister left, the wife said to the husband “I think the minister stole our spoon!” This bothered the woman for a whole year. Meanwhile, a year later the couple invited the minister again for dinner. Unable to resist, the wife summoned the courage and asked “minister did you steal our spoon last year?” Surprised and somewhat uncomfortable, the minister replied “No, I placed it inside your Bible”


Open my eyes, gracious Lord, as I turn to your word.
I long to know you, to understand life, and to be changed.
Examine me, Lord, by the floodlight of your truth. 

May the words I  read,  

be planted deeply in my mind and heart. 

Help me not to walk away and forget it, 

but to meditate on it and obey it
and so built my life on the rock of your truth. Amen


No comments: