Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 22 June 2022

How could I tell?


If one should ask of me, how could I tell?
Glory to Jesus, I know very well;
God’s Holy Spirit with mine doth agree,
Constantly witnessing Jesus loves me.

Have you ever heard an instrument that was really out of tune?

If not, let me save you some trouble… it’s not enjoyable. What’s worse is when the person playing the instrument doesn’t notice, and out of the kindness of your heart, you listen to their whole song (and the encore), while you want nothing more than to lose all sense of sound. “Lord, why did you give me ears?” you ask. Then you realise that’s ridiculous and instead pray, “Lord, why didn’t you give them ears?!”

Any musician knows that you can get an instrument perfectly in tune, but if, after tuning it, the instrument sits neglected or gets knocked around, it’s not going to stay in tune. Instruments require constant re-tuning. And the Puritan pastor and theologian, John Flavel says it’s the same with the heart. Flavel wrote a whole book on just this one verse and tucked in the pages of that volume he describes the heart as a musical instrument. This is why the writer of Proverbs said, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. (Proverbs 4:23, NIV)

In 1870, Philip Bliss, the writer of this weeks hymn, became a staff member of the First Congregational Church in Chicago. One evening when he was feeling quite weary, he was uplifted by the words of Paul in Romans 5:5 – “The love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit.” That’s when he began writing the above song, which he taught to children in his church the following Sunday.

Today we use a prayer of St Augustine
Breathe into me, Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Move in me, Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Attract my heart, Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy. Strengthen me, Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy. Protect me, Holy Spirit, that I may always be holy.  Amen 

No comments: