Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 12 May 2022

A Journey Through Romans


Romans 8:31-38

"I heard about a frustrated mother whose two sons where driving her crazy. She had tried everything to keep them in line, when one day she had an over-the-fence discussion with a neighbour. "I took my son to our priest," reported her friend, "and he got him straightened out for good."


Because she had exhausted all of her options and didn’t have a better idea, she followed her neighbour’s advice and took her two sons to the local parish priest. The younger boy was left in the waiting room and the older boy was ushered into the solemn presence of the robe-clad clergyman.


Without so much as introducing himself, the priest stared into the eyes of the frightened boy and began his interrogation with this question: "Where is God?"


The boy was speechless. The priest spoke again, "Where is God?" The young lad looked away, searching the room as if the answer might be found in the religious items that filled the office. He still did not answer. A little louder and with more emphasis, the priest asked for a third time, "Where is God?"


This time, the boy leaped to his feet and ran out of the office. When he came to the waiting room, he grabbed his brother by the hand and pulled him out the door. "Let’s get out of here," he said, "They’ve lost God and they’re trying to pin it on us." 


Sometimes we seem to place things or people or situations in the way of God’s love.


KARL BARTH was a German theologian who dominated the theology of the 20th century. In 1962, 6 years before his death, he made his only visit to the United States. One night he lectured at a seminary in Virginia and after the lecture he met with students in the coffee shop for some informal dialogue. Someone asked him if there was any way he could summarise his vast theological findings. A student asked, “What in your judgment is the essence of the Christian faith?” Barth paused for a moment. No doubt the others waited for some profound insights from this theological giant. They got their pens and paper out and were poised. Then Barth answered, “Yes, I can summarise in a few words my understanding of the Christian faith. Let me put it this way: “Jesus Loves Me, This I Know, for the Bible Tells Me So.”


I wonder, can we realise today that nothing can separate us from the love of God found in Jesus.


Prayer


Thank You, Father, that nothing at all can ever separate me from Your amazing love and eternal grace, which is in Christ Jesus my Lord. Sometimes, I imagine things that will separate me from You, and yet Your Word clearly tells me that there is nothing at all that can remove me from my position in Christ Jesus. Help me to accept this truth in my heart today, and never more doubt Your love for me. In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.


No comments: