Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 18 February 2022

Friday - We contemplate the cross


Many things in this world consume our minds and we can lead lives that are very busy leaving little time for contemplation. But this is damaging for us. Contemplation and consideration are important, especially when it comes to the things of God. The hymn writer Isaac Watts (1674-1748) wrote these amazing words in his hymn When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.


The Apostle Paul wrote, “the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Cor. 1:18). Within Celtic Christian tradition, the symbol of the Cross not only speaks of death but of life too. Not only of darkness but of light too.


John Piper in his book, “Don;T Waste Your LIfe,” writes “Life is wasted if we do not grasp the glory of the cross, cherish it for the treasure that it is, and cleave to it as the highest price of every pleasure and the deepest comfort in every pain. What was once foolishness to us—a crucified God—must become our wisdom and our power and our only boast in this world.” 


Spend some time today contemplating the cross of Christ as you read, Peter Cooke’s Words


Before the Cross


Before Thy Cross I stand in fear and wonder,

And see that all my sins on thee are laid;

My heart by grief and guilt is rent asunder;

Bemused am I, and faint and sore afraid!

And then isn awe the matchless truth I ponder;

That by Thy chastisement my peace is made.


My heart is torn such selfless love beholding, 

(No love was ever seen like unto thine!)

A love which, reaching out, comes this enfolding

The sins of everyone - and sins of mine!

Healing my broken heart and then remoulding

The life which now I would to Thee resign.


Behold me, Lord, in penitence now bending,

And giving ev’rything I have to Thee;

Behind me is the past with its self-mending,

As I resolve to live eternally 

In answer thy dying love, transcending

All other love which ever called to me.


No comments: