Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 28 January 2022

Unpacking Celtic Prayer


In many senses, Celtic Spiritually, is an active contemplative means of grace where Spoken prayers, Silence, Scripture and Spiritual writings are woven into a cycle of prayer. Usually the time of prayer is commenced and ended with the words, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen”


Many of the prayers are in the form of Invocation and consecration. An invocation prayer is a way to give greetings to God. Typically, it invites and welcomes God's presence. The prayer may also ask God for help; for example, that the decisions we are about to make be good ones.


Such a prayer of invocation could be:-


Lord, be with us this day, 

Within us to purify us; 

Above us to draw us up; 

Beneath us to sustain us; 

Before us to lead us; 

Behind us to restrain us; 

Around us to protect us.


As we approach a moment of Silence we need to consider it’s benefits and may well pray….


"I weave a silence on to my lips

I weave a silence into my mind

I weave a silence within my heart

I close my eyes to distractions

I close my eyes to attractions

I close my heart to temptations.

Calm me, O Lord, as You stilled the storm

Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm

Let all the tumult within me cease

Enfold me, Lord, in Your peace."

(by Revd David Adam)


This is followed by Scripture that may be as simple as just one phrase rather than a long passage and may well be repeated through the four times of the day.  For example, 1 Samuel 3:3-4 The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was. Then the LORD called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.”


Often this can be followed by a spiritual writing such as 


I find Thee enthroned in my heart, 

my Lord Jesus.

It us enough

I know that thou art throned in heaven.

My heart and heaven are one.


Alistair Macclean


Time can be spent  praying for others


And finally a blessing


Blessing

Let nothing disturb thee,

nothing affright thee;

all things are passing,

God never changeth!

Patient endurance attaineth to all things;

who God possesseth

in nothing is wanting;

alone God sufficeth.


Why not try using this form today.


No comments: