Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 17 January 2022

New Every Morning


John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”


It seems appropriate on the eve of the week of prayer for Christian Unity that we should consider Christ’s new commandment. Having thought of a new heart, a new mind and a new spirit, perhaps it is right to ask, how should we follow this commandment in practice.


Love one another was the guidance of Jesus. This was not an easy, sentimental invitation. Jesus had just seen his friend Judas go out into the night, with a view to betraying him. He had loved Judas with an unselfish love, but had he lost him.


Perhaps with all this talk of newness we should ask, “Lord, you know me. I can have no illusions about myself. I too could act as Judas did with you. You know that I do not want to go that way, but rather to live in such a way that everyone would know me as your disciple.”


I read of an owner of a drive though coffee business who was surprised one morning when a customer not only paid for her mocha but also paid for the mocha of the person in the car behind her. The owner smiled as she told the next customer her drink had already been paid for.


The second customer was so pleased that she bought coffee for the next customer. This string of loving kindness - one customer paying for the beverage of the next customer - continued for two hours and twenty seven customers. But just think about it, it only took one to start the chain reaction.

This is how it is with God’s love. It starts with his unexpected love for us, which is passed to others, who in turn pass it on.


Perhaps as we move into the week of Christian Prayer it would be good to reflect what it means to love one another in spite of our difference in a poem by Deborah Ann Belka.


I may not like,
what it is you do
but, I still need . . .
to be kind to you.


How I believe,
may make you upset
but, I’ll still treat . . .
you with respect.


I may not like,
what you say
but, I still need . . .
for you to pray.


You may laugh,
poke fun at me
but, Jesus’ light . . .
in me you’ll see.


We may not have,
the same point of view
but, I want you to know . . .
I still love you!


No comments: