Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 20 December 2021

Excerpts from Becky Lovatt’s Book - Beyond the Chocolate Window


The Voice of Peace

Jesus says:


“I am the voice of peace — a peace that knows no bounds and goes beyond all understanding. I am the peace that sets people free and binds up broken hearts. I am the voice of peace, given freely to all who wish to receive.


“The prophets of old spoke of my coming and the kingdom I would usher in: a realm where tools of war would be laid down and turned into instruments for peace; a land where peace would have dominion, where wild animals would sleep alongside livestock, and a child would be able to play safely even in the nest of a poisonous snake.


“My birth was far from peaceful: a noisy stable, the . shepherds and a muffled heavenly choir that no one could explain as I grew, peace descended upon me, until the time when in the shadow of the cross on which I would be crucified, I offered my peace to my friends and to the world.


Don’t let your hearts be troubled,’ I said. ‘Don’t worry or be afraid Put your trust in me and in my father and we will guide you by the hand‘ I will not always be with you, but I will send you a helper who will walk with you every step of the way. This advocate will strengthen you and be the go-between, straddling heaven and earth.


“When you go into your room, fall to your knees and pray earnestly to God. When you call on my name, your prayers will be answered according to my will. Seek my father’s kingdom first and all things will be given to you. Let me show you the way to heaven, and then everyone who loves me will have a place in paradise. I will go before you and make

it ready, so that when I come for you in death, you will be with me forever.’


“Sadly, my friends did not understand; they did not comprehend that I was preparing them for the death that was approaching me — the death that I would face for their good and the good of the world, in order to demonstrate the Father’s love. They didn’t understand that because of my love for them, I was willing to lay down my life.


“I needed them to know that they would not be left alone and that offered them my peace and the peace of God. ‘I am the voice of peace,’ I told them. ‘My peace is not the same as the world gives. Mine is everlasting, constant and life-changing. Therefore, do not be afraid and do not worry about anything, for I am with you always - till the end of time.


Prayer 


God of peace,

help me to become more aware of your presence

in the stillness of my heart.


I give you my cares and worries and choose to trust you with them;

now, please fill me again with your love and peace.


I pray for nations currently experiencing war and political turmoil,

that your peace would fill the hearts of the people in those lands

and their leaders.


Amen.


No comments: