Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 19 November 2021

An ABC of Faith


Image - Today I want to share with you a passage that I read from from  John Mark Corner’s book, “The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry: How to Stay Emotionally Healthy and Spiritually Alive in the Chaos of the Modern World. Copyright © 2019 published by  WaterBrook, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC


“Our defining narrative says that we’re made “in the image of God,” but also: we’re made “from the dust.”


Image and dust?

To be made in the image of God means that we’re rife with potential. We have the Divine’s capacity in our DNA. We’re like God. We were created to “image” his behaviour, to rule like he does, to gather up the raw materials of our planet and reshape them into a world for human beings to flourish and thrive.


But that’s only half the story.


We’re also made from the earth, “ashes to ashes, dust to dust”: we’re the original biodegradable containers. Which means we’re born with limitations. We’re not God. We’re mortal, not immortal. 


Finite, not infinite - Image and dust - Potential and limitations.


One of the key tasks of our apprenticeship to Jesus is living into both our potential and our limitations.


There’s a lot of talk right now about reaching your full poten­tial, and I’m all for it. Step out. Risk it all. Have faith. Chase the dream God put in your heart. Become the Technicolor version of who you were made to be.


But again, that’s only half the story.”


Every single human being, no matter how much the image of God is marred by sin, or illness, or weakness, or age, or any other disability, still has the status of being in God’s image and therefore must be treated with the dignity and respect that is due to God’s image-bearer. This has profound implications for our conduct toward others. It means that people of every race deserve equal dignity and rights. It means that elderly people … and children yet unborn deserve full protection and honour as human beings.


Loving Lord,

You have searched me and you know me,

I am created in your image.

You know all my thoughts and everywhere I will go, 

I am created in your image.

You knit me together in my mother’s womb,

I am created in your image.

I am fearfully and wonderfully made,

I am created in your image.

Your works are wonderful and I praise you because, 

I am created in your image. Amen


No comments: