Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 14 October 2021

An ABC of Faith


Doubt

Whether your faith is that there is a God or that there is not a God, if you don’t have any doubts you are either kidding yourself or asleep. Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith. They keep it awake and moving. So wrote Frederick Buechner pastor and theologian in 1973. 


Eight years earlier, Leslie Weatherhead wrote a book called the Christian Agnostic. On the subject of doubt, Weatherhead quotes a fellow Methodist Rev Dr Frederick Greeves, one time president of the Methodist Conference who said, “Many a humble agnostic, worshipping an unknown God, is nearer to the kingdom of God than a theologian confident in his theology …. Many an ‘atheist’ is rejecting false conceptions of God which he assumes to be Christian beliefs about Him. Many an agnostic has a reverence for the unknown God which puts to shame the pride of the superficial dogmatist.”


Weatherhead later states that “Doubt is not the enemy of faith. It is the growing edge of faith and we do not need Tennyson to assure us that, “There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds.”


Another Pastor wrote, “A faith without some doubts is like a human body without any antibodies in it. People who blithely go through life too busy or indifferent to ask hard questions about why they believe as they do will find themselves defenceless against either the experience of tragedy or the probing questions of a smart skeptic. A person’s faith can collapse almost overnight if she has failed over the years to listen patiently to her own doubts, which should only be discarded after long reflection.”


In Mark 9:24-28 we hear the poor father’s cry, ‘I believe, help my unbelief’ is one of the best-loved human statements in the gospels. Does it express the reality of your own struggle to believe? It has been said humorously that most of us are atheists before breakfast, but perhaps we are half-atheists for most of the day? It is also said that most people live lives of quiet desperation. When you experience things getting beyond you, do as the father did and bring your problems to Jesus. Be honest with him; beg his help. You will, he promises, find rest for your aching heart.


Doubt can be an important part of belief in God. It is honest. If there are no moments of doubt the space for us to grow in trust and faith is reduced.


O blessed Lord, Sometimes I'm not sure if the decisions I make are right. I doubt and worry. Show me, O Lord, the way. Let me understand that it's okay to be unsure, that it's normal and human. Reveal to me again where I can be certain. Show me the place where my doubts disappear. In the Resurrection may I find truth and security. In knowing God exists and knowing he loves me. Make my trust in you unshakable. Even though it may be hard and my decisions might be wrong, let my heart and soul know you will never leave me. May I seek you in prayer to receive the answers you want me to hear. May I find peace in the answers Christ gives me in his wounds. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.


No comments: