Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 21 September 2021

An ABC of Faith


Anxiety

Don't Worry, Be Happy" is a song by American musician Bobby McFerrin released in 1988. It was the first a cappella song to reach number-one.It has the words


Don't worry, be happy

In every life we have some trouble

But when you worry you make it double

Don't worry, be happy

Don't worry, be happy now.


Yet saying don’t worry seems a mile away from stopping ourselves from becoming anxious as witnessed by the levels of anxiety during the pandemic that seemed to have escalated according to a number of research projects across the population.


I am sure that we are all familiar with the words of Jesus, “…. do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” Matthew 6:34. But we need to remember that this guidance starts with the word “Therefore.” In the previous verses Jesus has shown in almost minute detail the providential care of God for each one of us.


Many of the phrases in this section of the gospel are well known. The message of Jesus is not to be worried about many things in life. He does not look down on concern for money, clothing and the things we need every day, even telling us to pray for our daily bread. He alerts us to the futility of worry and anxiety which can take our minds and hearts off what is really essential in our lives.


May we listen to Jesus’ words not just as advice, but consider how he lived them out. May we think of the difference his living freely made in the lives of others and continues to make in ours. May we talk to him about our worries and listen to his response as he takes on our cares.


Jesus shows us that worry undermines faith. May we bring our worries before God and ask for help to bring them into a truer perspective.


A Prayer

Lord, you know me. You made me. You love me. Meet me where I am in this moment. You knew I’d be here. Do what You want with my churning insides and my spinning mind and my blown-up fear. Don’t waste a minute of my anxiety. Heal it. Use it. Change it. Instead of begging for something specific, I give myself to You. What do you want from me and for me? Thank you for understanding me when no one else does and loving me anyway. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


No comments: