Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 27 September 2021

An ABC of Faith


Becoming

It was John Newton who philosophically once said, “I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am”


Paul also speaks of becoming within the Christian Context in 1 Corinthians 9:22 “To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.” Whilst a paraphrase of 2 Corinthians 5:17 could read, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, they have become new.”


John Wesley, in his inimitable way, placed a sense of responsibility upon the believer on becoming a follower of Jesus Christ. “When a man becomes a Christian, he becomes industrious, trustworthy and prosperous. Now, if that man when he gets all he can and saves all he can, does not give all he can, I have more hope for Judas Iscariot than for that man!"


There is a sense of the present and future in this notion of “be-coming.”  To be - to exist in a particular time, place, a way of living. Coming - a movement towards a goal or objective. A marking and acknowledgement of where we are by the grace of God whilst being in a state of transition into what and who we can become through the Grace of God seen in the life, death and renewing resurrection of Christ.


John Gowans in the musical Glory speaks of this transitional transformation in the words. 


If we say that we have no sim

Then we deceive ourselves

It’s true;

But when we own our sins,

And then disown our sins,

The work of Grace begins

A-new


It’s the work of a moment, 

It’s the work of a lifetime,

It begins in an instant,

It can take eternity.

But the work of the Spirit,

Of the world-changing Spirit,

Can begin at this moment for me

Even in me.


Prayer 

Dear Lord,  I pray that I become transformed by the renewing of my mind that I may learn to understand Your will for my life, which is good and pleasing and perfect. I thank You for my spiritual growth and transformation, help me focus on the godly values and ethical attitudes that will help me flourish spiritually, emotionally and mentally, Amen.


No comments: