Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 13 July 2021

A Methodist Way of Life


Worship is responding

Worship cannot leave those who offer it where it finds them. The liturgy (which means ‘the work of the people’) is offered in two equal parts. Part one is the gathering of the worshipping community for prayer and praise and part two is the participation in God’s ‘kingdom programme’. This begins the moment the worshipping community breaks up to return to the busy world from which it came. The call to justice encountered in the Scripture readings, in the preaching and in the prayers of intercession must be fulfilled as the eucharistic community lives out its thankfulness in cooperation with the Holy Trinity in a programme to renew all things until they return to the perfection with which they began.


The Revd Prebendary Norman Wallwork is a retired Methodist minister who is also a prebendary (or canon) of Wells Cathedral. He is a member of the Methodist Sacramental Fellowship, affirming within Methodism a catholic Christianity rooted in the doctrine of the Trinity.


Jesus taught about worship by the way he lived his life. He set a high standard and exceeded it. He completely fulfilled the will of the Father, facing all the same temptations we face without sin. He chose to worship God rather than giving into temptation. (Luke 4:8) He was baptised. He was obedient to the Father by enduring the cross. (Heb 12:2) He observed the Sabbath and taught in the synagogue.(Mk 6:2)  Jesus meditated on Scripture. He sang a hymn.(Mt 26:30)  Peter tells us: “This is the kind of life you’ve been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived.  He suffered everything that came his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step by step.” (1 Peter 2:21-22)

             

Often I come with my problems and cares,
Running to You when distressed,
But I must bring You the whole of my life –
Lord, I must give You my best.


Life has no purpose unless it is Yours;
Life without You has no goal;
All that fulfils me is doing Your will,
Knowing that You’re in control.


All that I am, all I can be,
All that I have, all that is me,
Accept and use, Lord, as You would choose, Lord,
Right now, today.


Take every passion, every skill,
Take all my dreams and bend them to Your will;
My all I give, Lord; for You I’ll live, Lord,
Come what may. Will Himes (c) SP&SLtd CCLI 814800


No comments: