Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 29 June 2021

Hebrew Names for God


The LORD Is My Banner (Nissi) - יְהוָ֥ה׀ נִסִּֽי

So Joshua destroyed Amalek and his army with the sword. The LORD said to Moses, "Write this as a memorial in the book, and rehearse it in Joshua's hearing; for I will surely wipe out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven. Moses built an altar, and he called it "The LORD is my Banner," for he said, "For a hand was lifted up to the throne of the LORD– that the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.“ Exodus 17:13-15


Today we have a plethora of logos and strap lines that describe or signify the origin or nature of an object, organisation or movement. Something that in a simple way demonstrates it’s inherent qualities.  In times past, a banner or a standard became the rallying point of an army and through this season of football’s Euros and the coming belated Olympics, a nations colours hoisted high encapsulated the pride of a nation.


When Moses built the altar and called it, “The LORD is my banner,” he was creating a place of remembrance, a celebration of victory, an expression of thanks. He was making a declaration, one that any follower of Jesus can share in today: The LORD is my banner and we are the LORD’s. It was a declaration not just of who God is and what He has done, but of who were as His people.


A Prayer to Jehovah Nissi

Lord, help me to recognise the spiritual warfare around me and to be aware of the enemies battle tactics. Give me the strength to fight while flying your banner over it all to claim victory. You are my Jehovah Nissi and I thank you for the brothers and sisters in Christ who will raise your banner with me. This victory belongs to you and we lift your name high in the face of both physical and spiritual attacks from satan. You have sovereign authority in all. Thank you that we can follow you with full assurance. Amen. 


No comments: