Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 22 May 2021

God is near

 

On the eve of Pentecost, I turn to a poetic work from the pen of William Cowper that has the theme of walking close with God. William Cowper (1731-1800) is regarded as one of the best early Romantic poets.  His literary talents produced some of the finest English hymn texts, but his chronic depression accounts for the somber tone of many of those texts. Educated to become an attorney, Cowper was called to the bar in 1754 but never practiced law. In 1763 he had the opportunity to become a clerk for the House of Lords, but the dread of the required public examination triggered his tendency to depression, and he attempted suicide. 

His subsequent hospitalisation and friendship with Morley and Mary Unwin provided emotional stability, but the periods of severe depression returned. His depression was deepened by a religious bent, which often stressed the wrath of God, and at times Cowper felt that God had predestined him to damnation.


For the last two decades of his life Cowper lived in Olney, where John Newton became his pastor. There he assisted Newton in his pastoral duties, and the two collaborated on the important hymn collection Olney Hymns (1779), to which Cowper contributed sixty-eight hymn texts.


I bring two Bible verses that speak for themselves concerning our walk with God. 


Micah 6:8 “He has made it clear to you, mortal man, what is good and what the LORD is requiring from you— to act with justice, to treasure the LORD’s gracious love, and to walk humbly in the company of your God.”



1 John 1:6-7 “If we say we have fellowship with him and yet keep on walking in the darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth. But if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.” 


O for a closer walk with God,

a calm and heav'nly frame,

a light to shine upon the road

that leads me to the Lamb!


Where is the blessedness I knew

when first I sought the Lord?

Where is the soul refreshing view

of Jesus and His Word?


What peaceful hours I then enjoyed!

How sweet their mem'ry still!

But they have left an aching void

the world can never fill.


Return, O holy Dove, return,

sweet messenger of rest;

I hate the sins that made Thee mourn,

and drove Thee from my breast.


The dearest idol I have known,

whate'er that idol be,

help me to tear it from Thy throne

and worship only Thee.


So shall my walk be close with God,

calm and serene my frame;

so purer light shall mark the road

that leads me to the Lamb.


Lord Jesus Christ, I come in need to walk in the hope that only You can give. Sometimes my way is unclear, and my path seems filled with twists and turns and confusion. Show me Your ways, Lord. Show me how You would walk in these places. Teach me Your paths of grace, mercy, integrity and love. Help me to grasp Your ways so I can walk securely in them, even in the valley of darkness. Lord, I need to know Your perspective. Help me, Lord Jesus, to focus on Your ways. Amen




No comments: