Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 29 April 2021

Let Go and Let God Have All of It

Sometimes negatives thoughts have become so much a part of our natural thought processes that we don’t know we can give them to God. However, God needs space to move in our lives. We can clear out all the debris that is clogging up our minds and learn to surrender to Him. Below are a few thought strongholds that seek to steal our minds and hearts from God.

Giving it to God – Control

Control is the hardest thing to give up because without it we feel vulnerable. But we do not need to worry. God is already in control. We need to recognise His authority and move over to let Him lead. He is the Creator of the Universe so we can trust Him with each day. Letting go is scary at first, but the freedom in our mind and hearts will be worth it.


Saskia Lightstar suggests that we “move over to the passenger seat, put on our seat belts, wind down the window, feel the breeze on our faces” and I would say let God do the driving. With Ann Landers adding, “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.”


Paul in writing to the Romans says,” And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8.28 ESV) God calls us into cooperation. Just consider the dignity and honour that we are given and ask that we may act in a way that shows our appreciation of God-working-with-us. Whilst, God's purpose is not always evident to us, we can pray for trust and patience and for the ability to persevere. Today take time to think of how God has turned things to our good in the past, giving thanks for blessings, letting go of the plans that we have for ourselves.


Prayer

Loving Lord, Help me to realise that when you close one door, you open the one you want me to walk through. Help me also to realise that what I desire may not be what is meant for me, or what is best for me. Maybe it will lead me away from what your great plan is for me. Let me accept each day as a gift. Let me follow the path you choose for me. Help me to be thankful for what you give me and not to worry about my needs. I trust you will take care of all my needs. Remind me that my role is to care for those around me and focus on those who need my help.


Help me not to be judgmental, as we are all equal in God's eyes. Help me to see the good in all of your creations. Let me leave the judging to you, dear Jesus. Instead, I will concentrate on living to please you! Help me, dear Jesus, be who and what you want me to be. Give me strength, faith and hope, and most of all, give me guidance each and every day. I let go and give you control.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.


No comments: