Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 27 April 2021

How to Let Go and Let God


Letting go and letting God is a daily, moment-by-moment choice. Like every discipline in life, we must learn to surrender and give it to God. Every new day there are clouds that invade our horizons and dull our minds with worries, doubts, and fears. These fill the space of our souls to the point that there is no room left for God in our lives. Surrendering to God has to be a daily lifestyle of giving it all to Him.

Whenever the ugly negatives thoughts seek to invade our space, we need to hand  cut them to God immediately. Oswald Chambers in his book, My Utmost for His Highest, writes “The reason some of us are such poor specimens of Christianity is because we have no Almighty Christ. We have Christian attributes and experiences, but there is no abandonment to Jesus Christ.” 


He goes on to say, “In our abandonment we give ourselves over to God just as God gave Himself for us, without any calculations. The consequences of abandonment never enter into our outlook because our life is taken up in Him.” 


The secret is not our letting go but much more the realisation that God’s mercies are new every morning, so what happened yesterday, last year or a decade ago is completely gone. Carrying the past around will only take up space for God’s goodness, grace, and favour. Renewing our mind in Christ means letting go of all the burdens He died to take from us.


Romans 12:2 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”


Lord, I  ask that You would teach me how to submit my life to You. Show me how to abide in You day by day, and instruct me how to live in spirit and truth. Help me Lord, to give control of my life over to You in every way, and to become the person You would have me be. Thank You Lord, that You have not given up on me and I ask You to teach me Your way from this day forward. In Jesus' name I pray,


Amen.


No comments: