Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 1 April 2021

Faith in Times of Crisis


Psalm 22, selected verses. New International Version (NIV) - A psalm of David.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me,
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
    by night, but I find no rest.

7 All who see me mock me;
    they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8 “He trusts in the Lord,” they say,
    “let the Lord rescue him.

14 I am poured out like water,
    and all my bones are out of joint.
15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
    and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;

16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me;
    they pierce my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
    people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
    and cast lots for my garment.

19 But you, Lord, do not be far from me.
    You are my strength; come quickly to help me.

24 For he has not despised or scorned
    the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
    but has listened to his cry for help.

 

Meditation by Dr J P Hunter

As we turn our minds eye to the events of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, we concentrate on suffering; the suffering Jesus endured, the suffering in our world and amongst our own congregation.


David in this Psalm gave an amazingly accurate description of the suffering Jesus would endure hundreds of years later. The first line of this Psalm, were the exact words Jesus cried out from the cross. Further accurate predictions are: being mocked and insulted v 7, being taunted v 8, pain from disjointed bones v 14, terrible thirst v 15, pierced hand and feet v 16, the humiliation of being nearly naked on public display with clothes being divided v17,18. Over this physical suffering is the spiritual agony of being Heavenly forsaken: where is God when we really need him? 


David did not lose faith. He kept on appealing to God to come quickly and save him v19. With v 24 proclaiming that he listened to his cry for help. Suffering believers in our world and we too can take heart from this Psalm. However perplexing Heavenly silences can be, whatever the detail of our suffering, God is faithful. In this life or the next God will raise us up and give us glory, just as to David, just as to his Son. 


Prayer

Lord Jesus, with hearts heavy with the circumstances of suffering you endured on our behalf, we come this day to seek your presence. We bow our heads, we are still, we know that you are near. May we like you, do not complain or rebel, may we receive strength to take up our cross as well. May we fix our eyes on you and receive your grace and help. In your name, Amen.

 

Hymn – StF 280 – O Sacred head, sore wounded, verse 1,4. Passion Chorale St Matthew Passion –J.S. Bach


1 O sacred Head, now wounded,

with grief and shame weighed down,

now scornfully surrounded

with thorns, thine only crown!

O sacred Head, what glory,

what bliss till now was thine!

Yet, though despised and gory,

I joy to call thee mine.


4 Be near when I am dying,

oh, show thy cross to me,

and for my rescue, flying,

come, Lord, and set me free!

These eyes, new faith receiving,

from Jesus shall not move,

for one who dies believing

dies safely, through thy love.


No comments: