Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 13 April 2021

Easter: Quote - Unquote


Tough Love

“The resurrection is in part about the sheer toughness and persistence of God’s love. When we have done our worst, God remains God — and remains committed to being our God. God was God even while God in human flesh was dying in anguish on the cross; God is God now in the new life of Jesus raised from death.” - ROWAN WILLIAMS ON THE RESURRECTION


John 21:15When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs." 


‘Do you love me?’ Peter is asked this question; I am asked this question too. Do I see the goodness in me that Jesus sees?


As Peter stands before Jesus it is reasonable to presume that he is all too aware of his failure to stand by and with his beloved master during the Passion. Yet Jesus focuses on his capacity to love, not on his failure. He does not admonish him for his betrayals. Because he loves, Peter is reinstated, and given a great responsibility to care for the early Christian community.

Is this an issue for me, focusing on my failures and unwilling or unable to accept that the Lord loves me as I am?


Do you ever wonder, do you really love the Lord? Did Peter? In the end he had no proof – he just knew the Lord knew. Jesus sees into the heart and knows love, and he also knows our efforts to love. We are called to feed his people in many ways, not because we are perfect, but because we do our best to share the best of our lives with others. When we wonder do we love God, we are better not answering, but just to offer the love of our hearts, imperfect as it is, and then we can say, ‘Lord you know I love you’. Leave the answer to him!


Prayer

Lord, I see here your unbounded mercy and forgiving love for me. You remind me that everything in the world is redeemable because of your rising from the dead. From your acceptance of me may I learn how to accept others who fail me. Amen


No comments: