Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 15 March 2021

Lent: Keep it simple


God in the commonplace

It seems to me that all too often we miss the blessings found in the common things of life? The simple task that can be a means of grace are often overlooked as we search for bigger blessings. 

One writer put it this way, “we can finds pain and pleasure, ecstasy and misery in the common things of life. All these good natural experiences usher us, if we let them, into the presence of God” and a fuller life. George Herbert in his poem Elixir explores this notion of finding the sacred in the common daily tasks. 

A servant with this clause
Makes drudgery divine: 
Who sweeps a room as for Thy laws, 
Makes that and th' action fine. 

Nothing is worthless, however lowly, if it is done for God. Even the most everyday ordinary task, like cleaning a room, goes beyond the end result of a satisfyingly spotless room – the action of cleaning itself is made clean, made sacred. The Gospels record Jesus as saying “I am among you as one who serves”. Nor is the earthly servant, whether cleaning a room or ministering as a pastor, any different.

Action, just as silence and the word, can help us to claim and celebrate our true self. But here again we need discipline, because the world in which we live says, ”Do this, do that, go here, go there, meet him, meet her.” Busyness has become a sign of importance. Having much to do, many places to go, and countless people to meet gives us status and even fame. However, being busy can lead us away from our true Vocation and prevent us from drinking our cup. (From Can You Drink the Cup? by Henri M Nouwen)

It is not easy to distinguish between doing what we are called to do and doing what we want to do particularly if that task may be viewed by society at large as demeaning or a drudgery and seems anything but divine. Enthusing every action as a means of adoration and worship lifts the action to a level of highest worth and ‘makes the action fine’.

A Prayer 

Lord, when life is hard and the burden is great, help me to deepen my faith in You and my love for You.  Help me to love and worship You because it is good and right to do in all things as for your glory. Father in heaven, I stand before You today in Your omnipotent presence to ask that You grant me strength. I want You to give me the strength to power through all of the tasks today — whether little or big. It is by Your will that I live oh Lord. And I know it is also by Your will I will not go weak today. I will not go lazy nor will I will fail to do all things set before me because You strengthen me. Thank You for Your everlasting presence Lord and in Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen. 

No comments: