Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 25 March 2021

Faith in Times of Crisis by Dr J P Hunter


Psalm 3:1-7a,8. New International Version (NIV) 

A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom. Trust in God under adversity.


1 Lord, how many are my foes!
    How many rise up against me!
2 Many are saying of me,
   “God will not deliver him.” 

3 But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
4 I call out to the Lord,
    and he answers me from his holy mountain.

5 I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
6 I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.

7 Arise, Lord!
    Deliver me, my God!
8 From the Lord comes deliverance.
    May your blessing be on your people.


Meditation by Dr J P Hunter

Trusting God in adversity, such as fear from any source, in not easy. David knew that too, as he was running for his life from his rebellious son Absalom and a host of traitors. When circumstances went against him, David did not blame God. Instead, he sought his presence and called out to him, verse 4a, and received an answer, verse 4b. The holy mountain was Mount Moriah in Jerusalem, where Solomon later would build the temple. David expressed confidence that God would hear him when he prayed.


Sleep may not come easy during a crisis. But David slept, even during his son’s rebellion. What made the difference? David cried out in trust to the Lord and the Lord heard him. The re-assurance of answered prayer brings peace. It is easier to sleep well, when we have full assurance that God is in control of circumstances. If we lie awake at night worrying or fearing circumstances we can’t change, we should pour out our heart to God, ask him for his help and thank him that he is in control. Then sleep will be easier.


Prayer

Lord God, I thank you that I can come to you, even in the middle of the night, because I know that you are there, because I know that you will listen. I am only human and feel fragile and my heart is full of fear. I know I worry too much about things I cannot control, about circumstances beyond my influence. I hand them all over to you, trust them into your care and know that they are safe. You control my life and my destiny and I put my trust in you. That you will guide and help me when the dawn breaks for a new day.

In your name. Amen.



Hymn StF 351 – In Christ alone – verse 4

4. No guilt in life, no fear in death,

    this is the power of Christ in me;

    from life’s first cry to final breath,

    Jesus commands my destiny.

    No power of hell, no scheme of man,

    can ever pluck me from his hand;

    till he returns or calls me home,

    here in the power of Christ I’ll stand!                                               

Keith Getty (b.1974) and Stuart Townend (b.1963) 


No comments: