Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Lent- keep it simple


Simply together

Ecclesiastes 4:12 “A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

In Jewish culture - the world familiar to Jesus as he grew up - it was the custom for a bereaved person not to be left alone for the first 30 days after the death of a loved one.  How many times might Jesus been together with his family in the house of those grieving to offer comfort?


He would have known well these words of scripture -


“Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labour: If either of them falls down one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10


The gift of friendship, Jesus knew and taught, contains the power and blessing to heal and hold.


Consider 

Friendship is such a simple gift that we can offer others, What are the times in your life when friendship have made a difference?

Dear Lord, teach me to love others the way you first loved me. As I build relationships with others, let them see you in the extent of my generosity, the authenticity of my kindness, and the depths of my love. All of those things are only possible through you, the God who abides with me and calls me friend. Amen.


No comments: