Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 4 February 2021

Faith in Times if Crisis No.34

 

Psalm 57:1-3a, 3c, 9-11. New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA). 

Of David, when he fled from Saul in a cave.


1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
    for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
    until the destroying storms pass by.
2 I cry to God Most High,
    to God who fulfils his purpose for me.

3 He will send from Heaven and save me,    

    God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness.

9 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10 For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens;
    your faithfulness extends to the clouds.

11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
    Let your glory be over all the earth.


Meditation by Dr J P Hunter

This Psalm was written when David was physically hiding in a cave from the pursuit by murderous Saul. 


Then, in his time of trouble, David spiritually turned to his Heavenly Father, saying in you my soul takes refuge and in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge. His soul was sheltering until the destroying storms pass by. 


Similarly, we in our time of trial, also have taken physically shelter in our homes until the infection risk passes by. Do we, like David, also spiritually turn to our Heavenly Father and express our true feelings of isolation, sorrow or fear? Then, like so often in David’s Psalms, we too will experience that our spirits will be lifted and we will be able to move from prayer to praise. I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.


Prayer

Lord, as I shelter in my home until the infection risk passes by, I come to You. I seek your presence, for my soul seeks refuge in You. I would like to share my sorrow, fear and grief, asking that You take them from me. Then my spirit will be lifted as I know, that You are there beside me as I daily go. I will thank You and praise your name, my King. For yes, me too, may seek shelter in the shadow of your wing. Amen


Hymn – Singing the Faith 355, verse 1,2

1 Jesus, lover of my soul,                                                                                                                     

hangs my helpless soul on thee;

while the near waters roll,                                                       

while the tempest still is high;                                                

hide me, O my Saviour, hide,

till the storm of life is past;

safe into the haven guide                                                         

O receive my soul at last.


2 Other refuge have I none,

Let me to thy bosom fly,

leave, ah, leave me not alone,

still support and comfort me.

All my trust on thee is stayed,

all my help from thee I bring

cover my defenceless head

With the shadow of thy wing.

      Charles Wesley (1707-1788)

No comments: