Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 28 January 2021

Faith in times of Crisis

 

Psalm 25:1-2a,4-5,14-17,20-21. New International Version (NIV) Of David. 

1 In you, Lord my God,
    I put my trust.

2 I trust in you;
    do not let me be put to shame.    

4 Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths.
5 Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Saviour,
    and my hope is in you all day long.

14 The Lord confides in those who fear him;
    he makes his covenant known to them.
15 My eyes are ever on the Lord,
    for only he will release my feet from the snare.

16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
    for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 Relieve the troubles of my heart
    and free me from my anguish.

20 Guard my life and rescue me;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness protect me,
    because my hope, Lord, is in you.


Meditation By Dr J P Hunter

As this week our country has lost in total over 100 000 lives through the pandemic, we seek guidance where to go, how to continue. We can find that guidance in the words of this Psalm.


David expressed his desire for guidance as he felt “lonely and afflicted” and in “anguish”, all of which we can identify with. The first step towards receiving God’s guidance is to want to be guided. The second step is to realise that God’s overall guidance is in his Word, the Bible. By reading it and constantly learning from it, we will come to fear and revere Him as we recognise God for who he is: holy, almighty, righteous, pure, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-wise, merciful. Then He “confides in those who fear him”, making his way known to you and me, offering a close and lasting friendship. What relationship could ever compare with having the Lord of all creation for a friend? Our search for guidance completes there: stay close to Him. “Because my hope, Lord, is in you”.


Prayer

As we come this day to seek you, we bring sorrow and grief from our country in anguish. 


We come to you to pray for those who are missing loved ones, for those who have come to live without hope. As you are our all-knowing, merciful Father we pray that you will be near to all who mourn. 


Praying for our own situation we ask that you will be near to us and guide us in the circumstances of our daily lives. That you will relieve the trouble also from my heart, as I put my trust and hope in You. Amen


Hymn – Singing the Faith 465, verse 1 and 2.


Guide me, O thou great redeemer,

Pilgrim through this barren land;

I am weak, but thou art mighty;

Hold me with thy powerful hand:

Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,

Feed me now and evermore,

Feed me now and evermore.


Open now the crystal fountain

Whence the healing stream doth flow;

Let the fiery cloudy pillar

Lead me all my journey through:

Strong deliverer, strong deliverer,

Be thou still my strength and shield,

Be thou still my strength and shield.


 William Williams (1717-1791).

No comments: