Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 16 December 2020

Advent Adventure


The Way of Peace

A few years ago I remember chuckling at an unusual Christmas story called ‘Round the Back’. It tells of an harassed inn keeper inundated with visitors in search of the new born King. Each visit disturbs his sleep and shatters the peace as each  asks where they might find the goal of their search, he successively shouts louder each time, “Round the Back.”


It was William Arthur Dunkerley (12 November 1852 – 23 January 1941), a prolific English journalist, novelist and poet who wrote the hymn.


Peace in our time, O Lord,

To all the peoples—peace!

Peace surely based upon thy will

And built in righteousness.

Thy power alone can break

The fetters that enchain

The sorely stricken soul of life,

And make it live again.


How to know the deep peace bequeathed by Jesus when all around is in turmoil or even find the peace of heart in the most tranquil of scenes when our inner selves are anxious or frustrated seems so difficult. How to take Jesus words to heart for so many of us is the issue at stake. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)


You see, Peace is there but calls for us to come and to take and find rest. Come” is a familiar word in scripture. “Come back to me; come and see; come follow me.” God continues to invite us, desiring what is best for us. This is the God who leads us to restful waters, who desires that work be service, not slavery. We are promised the help we need by a gentle and humble Lord to walk more lightly in life, knowing that he is with us.


Perhaps we need to ask ourselves these questions, “Do I hear the Lord’s invitation to me as life-giving and liberating? Where do I feel burdened or enslaved knowing the Lord desires freedom in service of him and others? May we turn to the Lord for what I need to travel more lightly in life.


May we also take to heart the Gaelic Blessings that says, 


Deep peace of the running wave to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Deep peace of the gentle night to you.
Moon and stars pour their healing light on you.
Deep peace of Christ,
of Christ the light of the world to you.
Deep peace of Christ to you.


No comments: