Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 5 November 2020

Thursday’s Reflection



FAITH IN TIMES OF CRISIS No. 22 by Dr J P Hunter

Illustration ‘Desert Hills” by Rev’d Paul Collings

Psalm 55:1-2, 5-8, 16-18, 22. New International Version (NIV) – A maskil of David.


Listen to my prayer, O God,
    do not ignore my plea;
    hear me and answer me.
   My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught.

Fear and trembling have beset me;
    horror has overwhelmed me.
I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!
    I would fly away and be at rest.
I would flee far away
    and stay in the desert;
I would hurry to my place of shelter,
    far from the tempest and storm.”

16 As for me, I call to God,
    and the Lord saves me.
17 Evening, morning and noon
    I cry out in distress,
    and he hears my voice.
18 He rescues me unharmed
    from the battle waged against me,
    even though many oppose me.

22 Cast your cares on the Lord
    and he will sustain you;

    he will never let
    the righteous be shaken.


    But as for me, I trust in you.


Meditation

As many of us are disappointed at the re-instatement of stricter measures and saddened by the closure of churches including St Nicholas, we turn to ancient Psalms to find words of comfort, healing and guidance.

Comfort, as we discover that we can hand over and leave all our disappointments, sadness and worries with Him. Healing for our souls as we share with Him in prayer all that is on our heart and minds and makes life burdensome and heavy. Guidance, as we discover that having left with Him all that is too much for us, our path becomes clearer and lighter as we learn and re-learn to live in trust that He knows the way.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is so good to know that whenever we are burdened or over-burdened, we can come to you and express our innermost to you for you are a listening and compassionate God. Even though our earthly eye cannot see you, you are present and you are near. Thank you for accepting my prayer. Thank you that you care for me. So, I will place my life into your hands and put my trust in you. Amen


Hymn StF 34:2

Low at his feet lay your burden of carefulness

High on his heart he will bear it for you,

Comfort your sorrows, and answer your prayerfulness,

Showing the pathway your feet should pursue.                             John Samuel Bewley Monsell (1811-1875)


No comments: