Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 26 November 2020

Faith in Time of Crisis by Dr J P Hunter6


 Psalm 5:1-3, 8, 11,12. NIV. For the director of music. For flutes. A psalm of David.

1 Listen to my words, Lord,
    consider my lament.
2 Hear my cry for help,
    my King and my God,
    for to you I pray.

3 In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
    in the morning I lay my requests before you
    and wait in expectation.

8 Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness
    because of my enemies—
    make your way straight before me.
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

12 Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous;
    you surround them with your favour as with a shield.


Meditation

This Psalm is chosen because it has waiting in expectation at its core. Like David we wait in expectation too.


In expectation for light at the end of our pandemic tunnel, for a vaccine to be given, for the start of Advent and for the arrival of the light of Christmas in our hearts. 

How do you or I live in expectation? While in expectation we can live well and endure because we have a close and personal relationship with our Maker. Like David, that close relationship is created and sustained by praying to him earnestly and reading his Word each morning when our minds are still free from burdens of the day. Then we can wait in expectation to make straight his way for me 5:8, live with a sense of gladness and joy 5:11, while we live under his protection, surrounded with a shield 5:11,12. 


Do you and I have a regular morning time to pray and read God’s Word?


Prayer

Thank you, Lord that I can come into your presence each morning, knowing that you are there, knowing that you will listen, knowing that you consider my lament and hear my cry for help. After that I can live in expectation to be led by you, live in assurance of your nearness, my way made straight by you. You spread your protection over me and surround me as with a shield. Thank you that you are my Holy Father and I may be your child. Amen.


Hymn – Singing the Faith 11, verse 1,3.


1 Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty

   Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee;

   Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty,

   God in three Persons, blessed Trinity!


3 Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide thee

   Though the eye of sinful man thy glory may not see,

   Only thou art holy; there is none beside thee,

   Perfect in power, in love and purity.                          

        Reginald Heber (1783 – 1826).

No comments: