Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 7 November 2020

Exploring Street Theology


Lads at Play

In the picture we see two lads engaged in activity, one playing table tennis, another engaged in gymnastics with both listening to music. As I looked upon these images the notion of body mind and soul came to mind and in particular the answer a lawyer gave to Jesus’ question, as to what the most important law, to which he replied  'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbour as yourself.'"


There are many influences that affect these three areas of our human existence; body mind and soul. During these 2nd lockdown days, we are becoming more and more aware of the necessity exercise and keeping bodies healthy. Similarly, protecting the health of our minds particularly during times of uncertainty is of growing importance.


So as I look at the image, I see the lad toning his body whilst exercising, and listening the music - the Psalmist in 71:23 talks about the music of the soul.  “My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed.” But what of the mind? Did you notice that the youth playing table tennis has the CND logo on his top; clearly something that has played upon his mind and he needs to express.


God desires that we grow in our relationship with Him continually—to love Him with our whole bodies, souls, minds, and strength: In Matthew "Jesus emphasised : 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment" (Matthew 22:37).


Our beliefs and attitudes, determined in large degree by our faith, will play a major role in our thinking patterns. Our day to day thinking will have an impact on our emotions and feelings, and our emotions and feelings will have a major impact on our behaviours. In this regard, our thought patterns play a significant role in our emotional, mental and physical health.


Mindfully caring for our heart – our ‘spiritual’ heart as well as our physical heart – is a huge part of being healthy.


Dear Lord, you remind me here that I often seek to justify my own selfishness. But the knowledge of the lawyer is not what you seek. It is my heart that you seek, and the acts of love and mercy that should flow freely out of my heart. Forgive me, and let your flame of love and mercy flare up afresh in my heart and consume my selfish tendencies.


Grant me, O Lord, to see everything now with new eyes, to discern and test the spirits that help me read the signs of the times, to relish the things that are yours, and to communicate them to others. I pray this as your disciple.  Amen


No comments: